Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Eight Verses of Training the Mind

Regarding all sentient beings
As excelling even the wish-granting gem
For accomplishing the highest aim
May i always hold them most dear

When in company of others
I shall always consider myself the lowest of all
And the depth of my heart
Hold them dear and supreme

Vigilant, the moment a delusion appears
Which endangers myself and others
I shall confront and avert it
Without delay

When i see beings of wicked nature
Over helmed by violent negative actions and sufferings
I shall such rare ones dear,
As if i have found a precious treasure

When others, out of envy, treat me with abuse,
Insult me or the like,
I shall except the defeat,
And offer the victory to others

When someone i have benefited
And in whom i have great hopes
Gives me terrible harm,
I shall regard him as my holy spiritual friend.

In short, both directly and indirectly, do i offer
Every benefit and happiness to all sentient beings, my mothers,
May i secretly take upon myself
All their harmful actions and suffering.

May they not be defiled by the concepts
Of the eight profane concerns
And aware that all things are illusory
May they, ungrasping, be freed from bondage

No comments: